V-Event, (Sport and Event Volunteering) is unique to Suffolk, bringing together event organisers who need volunteers, and those who want to volunteer their time for events and sports in Suffolk.
Initially set up to help establish a sustainable volunteering legacy in Suffolk as a result of the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, we are proud to have over 450 brilliant volunteers who make up the County Events Team. These volunteers dedicate their time to helping out at a whole host of events across the county throughout the year from fun runs to bike rides to festivals – many of which would struggle to take place without volunteer support.
All of the events and roles are promoted through this website. Volunteers simply register online and search for opportunities on our V-Event Calendar. In addition to this service, the project provides training and advice in order to share best practice in volunteering and build a sustainable volunteering legacy across the county.
Search for opportunities on our V-Event Calendar
What are the aims for the project?
- Increase the number of volunteering opportunities within sport and culture in Suffolk
- Make these opportunities more accessible to a wider group of potential volunteers
- Support sport and community organisations in further developing good practice in terms of the recruitment and management of volunteers
- Attract new volunteers to the sport, cultural and community sector particularly from currently under-represented sections of the population across the county
- Maintain and expand the Events Calendar of sport, cultural and community events in Suffolk, that provide volunteering opportunities
- Continue to train and support the County Events Team of volunteers
- Encourage and facilitate volunteers who were inspired by London 2012 to get involved locally
- Develop Project-based volunteering opportunities to support the work of local sport, community and charitable organisations.
So who is this project for?
The project seeks to support people of all ages, backgrounds and experience.
With a diverse range of sports, arts, cultural and heritage events, there are opportunities to suit the varied interests of individuals. Many of the events promoted offer an excellent introduction to volunteering, allowing individuals to develop new skills and grow in confidence, as well as supporting worthwhile causes. The flexibility of volunteering is perfect for individuals with limited time or those who would like to support a range of events / charities.
Top 3 Reasons why people volunteer with the project
- Supporting a local cause and giving back to the community
- Makes them happy, meeting new people and making friends
- Enjoyable and fun way to spend spare time
What our volunteers said:
“It gives me the opportunity to experience sports and events that I would not normally come across in my daily life and to meet people that I would never have met.”
“From my experience as a volunteer I have learnt new skills and discovered that there were existing skills that I didn’t even know I had. After each event I feel a sense of achievement and the satisfaction of knowing that I have helped to make something happen that could not of happened without the volunteers.”
“The sport and event volunteering project is a great project I’ve been with the project since day one and love every minute of volunteering and giving back to community! Everyone who has been part this project has made it worth while and its just superb.”
How can I get involved?
The V-Event Volunteering Project is a jointly funded partnership initiative between Community Action Suffolk, Suffolk County Council and Sport England. The project began in 2010 and has funding until 1 April 2018.
For further information contact: