Volunteer Archivist required at the Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation Museum.
• Do you have some time to spare ??
• Do you like working with a group of like-minded people ??
• Would you like to give something back to the local community ??
Located near Bungay in Suffolk, the Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation Museum is seeking a Volunteer Archivist to run the archives section of the Museum.
Working with the Chairman, the Management Committee and alongside existing volunteer teams at the museum, the person will manage the busy Archives Section. Details of the role are given below but it is worthy of note, that the working times are flexible and the work is varied. There is the possibility to work from home on a good deal of the documentation and archival aspects needed in this role.
If you are interested and would like to join in, with good companionship from other volunteers, as well as copious amounts of free tea and coffee, (or squash in hot weather), then the application can be made by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternatively, details of other roles, as well as this role, and a contact form can be found on our blog site http://aviationmuseum.site/index.php/volunteering-at-the-museum/
Skills Appreciated in The Volunteer
• Methodical and logical
• IT-literate (some skills needed)
• Team player
• friendly and able to interact with other volunteers and visitors
• Good verbal communicators
• Able to carry out independent research, both online and offline
Skills practised and learned
• Working with people
• Listening skills
• Managing skills
• Presenting skills
Archivist Role Description
The Archivist will be responsible for assembling, cataloguing, preserving and managing the valuable collections of historical information at the Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation Museum.
• Checking all items that the public donates to the museum and deciding which are appropriate or relevant
• Evaluating, selecting, retrieving and arranging materials
• Answering enquiries
• Providing materials for publicity events such as talks and exhibitions
• Making the archives accessible to selected visitors and museum volunteers
• Storing and preserving perishable documents
• Storing other artefacts, not on display
• Assistance in producing teaching materials
• Negotiating the acquisition of new collections
• Supervising other archive volunteers
• Arranging the sale of unwanted and approved artefacts
Aviation Heritage Museum