Citizens Advice Mid Suffolk are seeking a volunteer with a military background to be a Volunteer Adviser to military personnel, families and veterans.
Our Volunteer Advisers make a real difference to the lives of people in Mid Suffolk. People come to us with all sorts of problems and our Advisers help them to find a way forward. The role involves:
- Interviewing clients, both face-to-face and on the telephone, letting the client explain their enquiry and helping the client to set priorities.
- Finding, interpreting and communicating the relevant information and exploring options and implications in order that the client can come to a decision.
- Acting, where necessary, on behalf of the client, negotiating, drafting or writing letters or making appropriate referrals.
- Completing clear and accurate case records.
- Recognising the root causes of problems and participating in taking appropriate action.
- Keeping up to date on important issues by attending the appropriate training and by essential reading.
Our Advisers are at the heart of our service and they make a difference to the lives of our clients on a daily basis. In this role, the volunteer would focus on providing independent, impartial and confidential advice at an outreach for military personnel.
You don’t need specific qualifications or experience to train for the role. You’d need:
- an ability to look at complex information and extract what is important
- be polite and good at listening
- to be familiar with using keyboard skills and searching the internet
- to be able to input data accurately
- a good level of literacy and numeracy
- to be open minded and not judge clients
- to enjoy helping people
- an understanding of the challenges facing military personnel, families and veterans
96% of our volunteers would recommend Citizens Advice Mid Suffolk as a place to volunteer (People Survey 2018). Our volunteers say that they get a lot of personal satisfaction from helping those in need, and like the camaraderie of volunteering here.
You could do this role if you are available to volunteer for two shifts a week for at least 12 months.
Working within a team
Working with clients, who are sometimes vulnerable, to make a difference to their situation
Finding, interpreting and communicating relevant information
Negotiating, drafting and writing letters
Communication skills, both with colleagues and clients
IT skills, including Word, Outlook and Citizens Advice computer systems
Volunteers expenses are covered up to a 20 mile round trip of the Advice Centre in Stowmarket.
We provide a parking permit for the public car park for drivers.
Citizens Advice Mid Suffolk provides free, independent, confidential and impartial advice to everyone on any issue including, welfare benefits, money and debt, employment, housing, family and relationships, health, education, legal and consumer rights.