This is an exciting volunteer opportunity to join the Board of Directors at the John Peel Centre for Creative Arts in Stowmarket, Suffolk. 2021 represents a pivotal time in the history of the JPC. The arts and leisure industries have been significantly impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic and we cannot there will be more challenges to come. However, we are also determined to come out of this pandemic with an arts and community space and programme that will support our community in its recovery and thrive once again. The first exciting step in this journey came in January 2021 when Mid Suffolk District Council committed to leasing 11 Market Place to the John Peel Centre for a nominal rent. This is a huge opportunity for growth and marks a step-change for the JPC and our delivery. For this reason, we are looking to increase the skills and knowledge base within our leadership team.
As Director of Fundraising & Development, you will lead a small committee, responsible for supporting the development of the JPC’s offer and increasing its revenue to do so, through developing sponsorship and philanthropic partnerships and the successful production of applications to grant giving bodies including, trusts and foundations. You will work closely with the JPC staff and volunteers and use your skills and knowledge to embed a culture of learning and continuous improvement so that the JPC can demonstrate the highest possible standards to our stakeholders.
A crucial part of the role will focus on working with the Strategic Manager on the development of a Fundraising Strategy for the JPC. You will oversee its development and implementation. Specifically, you will be responsible for the organisational planning to delivering the strategy to develop and grow our funding streams.
As a Director, you will work at the heart of driving the JPC forward with the development of a fundraising strategy, you will enable the team to effectively grow and develop in the following areas:
• Fundraising Strategy - Working from the JPC’s strategic aims and objectives, you will oversee the design and implementation of an over-arching short, medium, and long-term development and fundraising strategy, appropriate to meeting the needs of both revenue and capital funding objectives.
• Sponsorship – You will oversee the creation of JPC sponsorship packages. They will ensure relationships are managed and maintained appropriately.
• Philanthropy & Partnership building – Utilising their existing knowledge and expertise, you will develop and bring new funding relationships to the JPC. You will support the Strategic Manager and wider JPC team to cultivate appropriate, long term funder relationships of all types.
• Grant applications – You will research and keep abreast of grants available to the JPC and, with the Strategic Manager, devise an annual programme of applications grant making bodies for JPC activity (core, capital and projects).
• Supporting Marketing and communications – You will develop strong, collaborative working relationships with the Director of marketing and communications and relevant staff and volunteers to increase the profile of the JPC and its funding needs.
• Fundraising events – You will work with the Director of Programming and events, staff and volunteers to design and deliver appropriate fundraising activity and events.
• Ideally 3 years’ relevant experience, within a not-for-profit environment (ideally in an arts) with a track record of success in raising income.
• An energised, enthusiastic individual, willing, and able to commit to take on a significant challenge at this pivotal time for the JPC
• A commitment to developing the JPCs people, resources, and procedures to ensure optimal delivery of the JPC’s vision and mission
• Confident developing relationships, negotiating and closing on opportunities.
• Excellent interpersonal skills with proven ability to bring, build and maintain lasting relationships.
• Inclusive and enabling of staff and volunteer learning, sharing best practice and supporting others
• Demonstrable experience of identifying new funding opportunities and of working with boards to secure fundraising success
• A highly self-motivated, creative, open-minded, and a strategic thinker
• Solid experience of significant budget responsibility and achievement
• Strong influencing and negotiating skills to achieve support for the JPC’s work
• Experience in working collaboratively to achieve improved outcomes
• Strong writing and presenting style which is understandable to both internal and external audiences
• Strong leadership and motivational skills
• Excellent communication and influencing skills
• Highly organised and able to deliver to deadlines
• A highly self-motivated, creative, open-minded, and a strategic thinker.
The John Peel Centre for Creative Arts is an ambitious project to provide a lasting tribute to the life and career of the much-loved broadcaster and create a high quality, community-owned, Arts Centre in the heart of Suffolk. The team behind the project set out to bring an unused and decaying historic building back into use and create an inspirational environment to foster the creative energy of local people and enable wider enjoyment of the arts.